- Single dish
- 90 min
Farro Quiche with Courgettes, Spinach and Mushrooms
For the farro shortcrust pastry
130 g farro flour (organic) + extra for dusting
40 g potato starch
110 g cold butter, in cubes
6 tablespoons cold water
15 g sesame seeds
For the filling
50 g button mushrooms
50 g fresh spinach
1½ teaspoon potato starch
50 g creamy cow’s milk caprino cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped leek
oil, as needed
salt and pepper to taste
Nonno Nanni Cow's Milk Caprino is the perfect cheese for those who love an intense, characteristic flavour
1. Blend all the dry ingredients in a mixer on high.
2. Add the cold butter and water and mix to obtain a firm mixture.
3. Transfer it to a lightly floured work surface (using farro flour), add a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper and knead into a ball.
4. Wrap the farro shortcrust pastry in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about thirty minutes.
5. Roll out the dough with a rolling pin on a floured surface.
6. Line a baking pan with parchment paper and lay the sheet of dough on it. Remove the excess edges, pierce the bottom with a fork.
7. Bake blind with weights in a preheated conventional oven at 180°C for twenty minutes, then five more minutes without the weights.
8. Take it out of the oven and cool.
For the filling
9. Place the leek in a frying pan with oil and sauté until soft. Add the mushrooms and courgette thinly sliced into discs, season with salt and pepper and cook together.
10. Remove the cooked vegetables from the pan and set aside. In the same pan, quickly cook the spinach (this only takes two or three minutes). Combine all the vegetables and set aside to cool.
11. Beat the eggs with the potato starch in a bowl, mix in the creamy caprino cheese. Add the vegetables and mushrooms, combine well and pour the mixture into the baked farro pastry shell.
12. Bake in a preheated conventional oven at 200°C for 40 minutes.