- 90 min
Mimosa Cake with Fresco Spalmabile
For the Diplomat cream with Fresco Spalmabile:
450 ml whole milk
4 medium egg yolks
60 g corn starch
120 g granulated sugar
vanilla or lemon peel
200 g Fresco Spalmabile
For the sponge cake: 1 23 cm disc
2 medium eggs
4 egg yolks
100 g sugar
90 g flour
25 g potato starch
20 g honey
Prepare 2 discs.
For the soaking liquid
150 ml water
80 g sugar
80 g Grand Marnier
Nonno Nanni Fresco Spalmabile is a fresh, soft and spreadable cheese, with a lively but delicate flavour.
The base for Diplomatic cream is pastry cream, therefore, begin in the classic way.
1. In a bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar into a cream (with an electric beater or by hand, whichever you prefer). Slowly add the flour, stirring to create a dense, homogeneous mixture.
2. Bring the milk to a boil with the vanilla, or lemon peel if you prefer. Once the milk is hot, turn of the heat and let cool.
3. Pour half the warm milk into the egg and sugar mixture, stirring quickly to prevent lumps. Add the rest of the milk and continue stirring.
4. Pour the pastry cream into a pot and bring it to a boil, stirring until it thickens. Let cool in the refrigerator, covered with plastic wrap.
5. Add the Fresco Spalmabile to the pastry cream, slowly, a little at a time.
Put the two eggs and four yolks in a bowl, add the sugar and mix until the mixture is light and thick. Add the flour and potato starch, properly sifted, and mix in slowly stirring from the bottom to the top.
Butter the cake pan and bake at 180°C for 25 minutes.
Repeat this process for the second sponge cake disc.
Put 150 ml of water in a pot and add the liqueur and sugar; bring to a boil stirring until the sugar dissolves, then let cool.
Preparing the cake:
Using a sharp knife, cut away the outer, darker part of the sponge cake.
Cut the 2 discs in half, horizontally, to make 4.
Cut one of the 4 discs into cubes.
Place the first sponge cake disc on a plate, moisten with the soaking liquid and fill with the first layer of pastry cream.
Continue with the process ending with the last sponge cake disc.
Let the cake rest for about an hour in the refrigerator.
After an hour, cover the entire cake with the rest of the pastry cream and sprinkle all over the top with the cubes of sponge cake.
Single dish Genoese Focaccia with grilled vegetables, Nonno Nanni Fresco Spalmabile and sun-dried tomatoes